Navigate Up

Special Education FAQs

I have a child with severe disabilities and just moved to Marin County.  How do I get my child enrolled in a County Office special education class?

The County Office can only respond to a request for services from your school district of residence. Call your school district of residence and they will begin the referral process.

​I am the parent of a preschool-aged child who may be in need of special education services. Who do I contact about my concerns?

​If you are a resident of Novato Unified School District, San Rafael City Schools, Ross Valley School District, Mill Valley School District or Larkspur-Corte Madera School District, contact the district office of the respective school district. If you are a resident of any other school district in Marin County, please contact the Early Intervention Program operated by the Marin County Office at 415.472.1969.

I am the parent of an infant/toddler who has a developmental delay. Who do I contact about services and supports for my child and our family?

The Early Start Program works with eligible infants or toddlers and their families to increase skills and enhance development. Many agencies provide these services to families, including the Marin County Office of Education. Call 415.492.3555 for information.

​I am unhappy with a situation at school which concerns my child who has an IEP. I believe that I have exhausted all communication options at my child's school and at my district of resident. Where can I get assistance?

Call the Marin County Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) office at 415.499.5850. You may also contact Matrix Parent Network and Resource Center at 415.475.2123.

For more information,  please call 415.499.5891.