Navigate Up

Of Interest to Substitutes

Subbing for Specific Districts  > District Sub Pay Rates and Contact/Registration Information

Several districts in Marin have specific requirements for subbing in those districts.  One thing all the Marin districts have in common, however, is the requirement that you complete MCOE's Substitute Registration Packet, accessible from this website, and then register in person by appointment at the Marin County Office of Education's Credential Department.  You then refer to the District Pay Rates and Contact/Registration Information sheet (also attached to your Substitute Teacher Identification Verification email) to see different districts' specific requirements.  For example, several districts use an automated SubFinder system which requires you to sign up with the specific district after you are registered on the Countywide Substitute Teacher List.  Please realize that these districts cannot call you to sub unless they have the requisite paperwork to activate you in their specific system.  You must follow their directions (right-hand column of the District Pay Rates and Contact/Registration sheet). The sheet lists contact information should you have questions.  

 Additional Resources:     

The 30/20 Rule which sets limits on how many days you can substitute for that single teacher in a single school year, depending if General Education or Special Education:
Requirements to Substitute Teach in California Public Schools  –  The 30/20 Rule
Title 5 §80025.3(a) states that individuals who hold a valid document which required the completion of a bachelor’s degree & the basic skills requirement (i.e. requirements for Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit) are authorized to serve as day-to-day substitutes.  Individuals are allowed to substitute for no more than 30 days for any one teacher during the school year with one exception. Fully credentialed teachers (credential based on a bachelor’s degree, teacher preparation program, & student teaching) may substitute for more than 30 days for any one teacher as long as he/she is serving in the subject area(s) authorized by their credential.  Fully credentialed teachers may not substitute outside the authorized area for more than 30 days for any one teacher.
T5 §80025 The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit authorizes the holder to serve as a substitute in any classroom; preschool, kindergarten and grades 1-12, inclusive; or in classes organized primarily for adults within each county in which the permit is registered provided the employing agency has a completed Statement of Need on file for the school year.  However, the holder shall not serve as a substitute for more than 30 days for any one teacher during the school year.
Title 5 §80025.4 Substituting in a Special Education Classroom: EC §56061(a), which is under the authority of the CDE, specifies that individuals who hold documents authorizing substitute teaching may not serve in a special education classroom for any one teacher more than 20 days during a school year.  In order for the teacher to serve in that assignment beyond the 20 day limit, the individual must hold a special education teaching credential, teaching permit, or waiver which authorizes service to the population of students in the classroom.